A Great Trip Needs An Extraordinary Destination ...Hallo Bay? ABSOLUTELY

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Goodall Quotes


"I became totally absorbed into this forest existence.  It was an unparalleled period when aloneness was a way of life; a perfect opportunity, it might seem, for meditating on the meaning of existence and my role in it all.  But I was far too busy learning about the chimpanzees lives to worry about the meaning of my own.  I had gone to Gombe to accomplish a specific goal, not to pursue my early preoccupation with philosophy and religion.  Nevertheless, those months at Gombe helped to shape the person I am today-I would have been insensitive indeed if the wonder and the endless fascination of my new world had not had a major impact on my thinking.  All the time I was getting closer to animals and nature, and as a result, closer to myself and more and more in tune with the spiritual power that I felt all around.  For those who have experienced the joy of being alone with nature there is really little need for me to say much more; for those who have not, no words of mine can even describe the powerful, almost mystical knowledge of beauty and eternity that come, suddenly, and all unexpected.  The beauty was always there, but moments of true awareness were rare.  They would come, unannounced; perhaps when I was watching the pale flush preceding dawn; or looking up through the rustling leaves of some giant forest tree into the greens and browns and the black shadows and the occasionally ensured bright fleck of blue sky; or when I stood, as darkness fell, with one hand on the still warm trunk of a tree and looked at the sparkling of an early moon on the never still, softly sighing water of Lake Tanganyika."


No comments:

Post a Comment