A Great Trip Needs An Extraordinary Destination ...Hallo Bay? ABSOLUTELY

Friday, July 31, 2009

Morty's Camp Diary: July 2009


Just a quick note about our camp mascot, the Golden Crowned Sparrow. Today was the loveliest of days. It was so warm, sunny and breezy I had hung some towels and clothes out on the line to dry. Towards evening, I walked out to bring them in, and don't you know, in front of me on the path was that precocious little birdy! He saw me coming and hopped in front of me staying just far enough ahead of me to feel safe. I stopped walking and so did he. He cocked his head and just looked at me. I took a step or two in his direction, and he hopped a step or two away as well. This went on all the way to the wash line. Then he hopped into the trees, and I couldn't see him anymore.
Of course, I didn't have my camera with me! I did get my camera and tried to find him, but he was nowhere in sight. I gave up and put away my camera. I just know I'll see more of him whenever I don't have my camera!
We don't hear him sing his 3 note song anymore. That is his mating call, and he must have found a mate because he's still around, but he doesn't sing anymore. I have seen him on the ground several times, and twice right on the path. I have a feeling he's building a nest. Or I like to think so anyway. I think he's got raising a family on his mind! I'm happy for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment