A Great Trip Needs An Extraordinary Destination ...Hallo Bay? ABSOLUTELY

Friday, May 22, 2009

Morty's Camp Diary


My first day here was an eye-opener. It was a cool cloudy day and the pilot wasn't sure she should land the plane on the beach till just a little before she landed, as there was heavy cloud cover and she couldn't see the beach to land. Then, Wow! we popped down through the clouds and she made a perfect landing. The folks at camp came out to greet us, then there was the task of unloading the plane of freight. We all pitched in to help make short work of it. The Camp itself is pretty amazing. The canvas buildings and how they are put up are an amazing feat. I wondered at how only 5 people could put up a building like the galley in one day. I have my own cabin with comfortable cot, wooden table, wooden box set up on the end for a wardrobe, and a little nightstand beside my cot, with heaters in all the cabins for the chill nights. It is pretty raw out here in the wildness, but we're cozy with everything we could need. I've never been to Alaska before, and I'm loving every minute of it. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you, I'm the Camp Cook, Morty.

No comments:

Post a Comment